"Buy Local" campaigns have taken root and continue to grow throughout the United States.
There are now over 200 active groups and communities banding together to support their local businesses like never before. How important is buying locally to small and medium sized markets?
A recent study by the American Independent Business Alliance found substantial impact for independent businesses in communities with an active “buy local” campaign:
- The survey tallied responses from 1,768 businesses, all independent and locally-owned, across 49 states. About half were retailers. Among the notable results:
- A larger share (61%) of respondents reported revenue growth in 2011 compared to 2010.
- Independent retailers enjoyed stronger holiday sales than the retail sector as a whole. While overall holiday sales were up 4.1% in 2011, respondents (all independents) reported an average sales increase of 6.7%.
- More than three-quarters of businesses surveyed said public awareness of the beneﬁts of doing business locally had increased in the last year.
- Independent businesses in communities with an active "buy independent/buy local" campaign run by grassroots groups like YOURGROUP saw revenues grow 7.2% in 2011, compared to 2.6% for those in areas without an alliance.
- Looking solely at retail respondents, the survey found those in areas with an active alliance reported holiday sales growth of 8.5% in 2011, compared to 5.2% for retailers in areas without such an initiative.
The Exit Local solution is the ideal ecommerce solution for any "Buy Local" organization or media company looking to:
- Help advertisers reach out to online shoppers & researchers
- Keep tax dollars at home
- provide a digital solution that connects local shoppers and businesses like never before